Friday, January 2, 2009

Detox, Day 2... Fasting, Praying, Hunger = CLARITY and a push back on the wave?!?!

Friday, January 2, 2009
I'll admit, while I respect those who do it for whatever reasons they do it, I don't understand the concept behind fasting for religious reasons - it is just something I am not familiar with, so therefore I don't do it.

This 'isn't my first rodeo' as far as raw detox goes, but in the past I have always either skipped the full on fasting part of it or cut it short due to specific dietary needs I have.

This time, I just really don't have the time or brain power to plan, so I am letting The Raw Diva's tell me what to do - and they said do a water fast for 24 hours followed by a mono meal - so I did.

THAT was interesting and surprising because of course I got hungry... but I was really surprised at the CLARITY I felt while my body was searching for nourishment.

I've been in a real funk the last few weeks... I don't know whether to call it full on depression or stress, but I haven't been able to pull myself up to my 'normal' function. I started joking with my husband to save room for me on the 'mental bus' for his inmate transports his staff does. I've let simple things and important things slide. I might have missed Christmas altogether if it wasn't for my family picking up my slack.

While I felt 'hungry' during my fast, I didn't necessarily feel 'weak'. In fact, strangely enough, I felt very motivated for the first time in weeks... that funk had a sunbeam in it and I could 'see' through the fog just a little bit. I felt compelled to spend a lot of time in prayer and I really felt I was connecting and grasping some things that I have really been searching for. Is that 'hearing God's voice'?

I wasn't sure how my time at the gym would be affected by my fast. I never run or work out on an empty stomach. I went anyway with low expectations figuring I would at least DO SOMETHING. When I went to do my run I had had only water for nearly 21 hours. Amazingly enough, I had probably one of the best runs I have had in a long time. I stopped at 3 miles so I didn't overdo it.

One thing I do while running is listen to my iPod and pray and think. I have a Shuffle so I never really know what song is going to come next, but even the mix of music was PERFECT for this time and season I was in yesterday.

It reminded me of when I took surfing lessons with some friends in California last Spring. When out in the water, and preparing for the first wave, in order for us to not worry about anything but STANDING UP on the board, the instructors would help us turn around into the oncoming wave and give a push... much like that when you are teaching a child to ride a bike. I felt like God did that for me. It was FABULOUS!

I was not running on my own strength... I had none.

What a key and timely reminder that was for me in my faith - another unexpected gift.

Today, I feel like I stood up on my surf board and am back on the wave... I'm still a bit shaky, but I know if I fall off I just need to paddle back out to get turned around again... and I will.








I had a cantalope for dinner last night after making a spaghetti dinner for the family. The refreshing juicy sweetness of it was welcome and spot on. Surprisingly enough I wasn't even TOO tempted to lock them all in a closet and inhale THEIR dinner.

My husband cooks dinner WAY more than me - that's just the pattern we have gotten into around here, especially since I often eat so differently than them. He was honestly VERY surprised when he came into the kitchen in the middle of me preparing their dinner. The look on his face said it all... he felt LOVED and caught off guard by my simple act of nuturing them when they didn't expect it. Like God gives us that unexpected turnaround and push on our surfboard, it is such a blessing to pay it forward to the ones we love. I even shared a little bit of my cantelope with them to sweeten the deal. ;)

I may need to give this fasting thing some more consideration on occasion. I see how God used it as a tool and an unexpected blessing for me when I really needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Pocket
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com Blogger Templates